Gå til innhold

America ! Fuck yeah !

Anbefalte innlegg

Sitat Sam Harris:

“If you think that it would be impossible to improve upon the Ten Commandments as a statement of morality, you really owe it to yourself to read some other scriptures. Once again, we need look no further than the Jains: Mahavira, the Jain patriarch, surpassed the morality of the Bible with a single sentence: 'Do not injure, abuse, oppress, enslave, insult, torment, torture, or kill any creature or living being.' Imagine how different our world might be if the Bible contained this as its central precept. Christians have abused, oppressed, enslaved, insulted, tormented, tortured, and killed people in the name of God for centuries, on the basis of a theologically defensible reading of the Bible.”

Litt mer om de ti bud av Sam Harris for de som gidder lese:

They are, after all, the only passages in the Bible so profound that the creator of the universe felt the need to physically write them himself — and in stone. As such, one would expect these to be the greatest lines ever written, on any subject, in any language.

I thought that was a key point. Lines directly penned by the all-knowing, omniscient god that set this universe in motion. We might expect the most profound and stunning words ever heard in human history. Harris:

Here they are. Get ready …

You shall have no other gods before me.

You shall not make for yourself a graven image.

You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Honor your father and your mother.

You shall not murder.

You shall not commit adultery.

You shall not steal.

You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his manservant, or his maidservant, or his ox, or his ass, or anything that is your neighbor’s.

And Harris’ further commentary:

The first four of these injunctions have nothing whatsoever to do with morality. As stated, they forbid the practice of any non-Judeo-Christian faith (like Hinduism), most religious art, utterances like “God damn it!,” and all ordinary work on the Sabbath — all under the penalty of death. …

Commandments 5 though 9 do address morality. … Admonishments of these kind are found in virtually every culture throughout recorded history. There is nothing especially compelling about their presentation in the Bible. There are obvious biological reasons why people tend to treat their parents well, and to think badly of murderers, adulterers, thieves, and liars. It is a scientific fact that moral emotions … precede any exposure to scripture. Indeed, studies of primate behavior reveal that these emotions (in some form) precede humanity itself. … All of our primate cousins are partial to their own kind and generally intolerant of murder and theft. They tend not to like deception or sexual betrayal much, either. Chimpanzees, especially, display many of the complex social concerns that you would expect to see in our closest relatives in the natural world. It seems rather unlikely, therefore, that the average American will receive necessary moral instruction by seeing these precepts chiseled in marble whenever he enter a courthouse. And what are we to make of the fact that, in bringing his treatise to a close, the creator of the universe could think of no human concerns more pressing and durable than the coveting of servants and livestock?

If you think that it would be impossible to improve on the Ten Commandments as a statement of morality, you really owe it to yourself to read some other scriptures. Once again, we need look no further than the Jains: Mahavira, the Jain patriarch, surpassed the morality of the Bible with a single sentence: ‘Do not injure, abuse, oppress, enslave, insult, torment, torture, or kill any creature of the living being.’ Imagine how different our world might be if the Bible contained this as its central precept. Christians have abused, oppressed, enslaved, insulted, tormented, tortured, and killed people in the name of God for centuries, on the basis of a theologically defensible reading of the Bible. It is impossible to behave this way by adhering to the principles of Jainism. How, then, can you argue that the Bible provides the clearest statement of morality the world has ever seen?

I’ll add that there is no mention of the prohibition of rape, and we only need point to the glowingly immoral case of Moses himself in Numbers 31:

But Moses was furious with all the military commanders who had returned from the battle. “Why have you let all the women live?” he demanded. “These are the very ones who followed Balaam’s advice and caused the people of Israel to rebel against the LORD at Mount Peor. They are the ones who caused the plague to strike the LORD’s people. Now kill all the boys and all the women who have slept with a man. Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves.

That folks can be compelled to worship a god who condones and even commands such ruthlessness and sexual depravity escapes my understanding.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Fortsetter under...

Gjest Jester
Sitat Sam Harris:

“If you think that it would be impossible to improve upon the Ten Commandments as a statement of morality, you really owe it to yourself to read some other scriptures. Once again, we need look no further than the Jains: Mahavira, the Jain patriarch, surpassed the morality of the Bible with a single sentence: 'Do not injure, abuse, oppress, enslave, insult, torment, torture, or kill any creature or living being.' Imagine how different our world might be if the Bible contained this as its central precept. Christians have abused, oppressed, enslaved, insulted, tormented, tortured, and killed people in the name of God for centuries, on the basis of a theologically defensible reading of the Bible.”

Litt mer om de ti bud av Sam Harris for de som gidder lese:

Sam Harris er en av mine favoritter etter at Hitch gikk bort. Håper han ikke gir seg.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Han har jo rett hvis man ser vekk fra at han kaller det for en religion. Det er en fare for Islam.

En idiotisk uttalelse uansett.

Denne delen får meg til å spy:

“We will not tolerate any demands or right to apostasy by Muslims, or deny Muslims their right to be governed by Shariah Courts and neither will we allow Muslims to engage in LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) activities,” he said.
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Annonse

Jeg hørte disse to diskusjonene/interviewene/podcastene mens jeg lagde middag og lignende for noen uker siden. De var veldig interessante, spesielt hvis man liker Sam Harris:

Det er ganske frie diskusjoner om veldig mange temaer. Begge parter kommer med mye interessant.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hva tenker du (og alle andre som leser dette seff) om saken med at homofile ikke får gifte seg i kirken?

Jeg er 100% enig med Joe Rogan, at det er helt forferdelig å ikke være for like rettigheter.

Samtidig mener jeg at det er helt opp til overtrosforeninger å overtro på det de overtror på.

Problemet kommer når overtrossamfunnet er en del av staten, da mener jeg de samtidig mister retten til å bestemme over egen overtrospraksis. Derfor er det helt på trynet at statskirken er mot homo-ekteskap.

Andre tanker?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jester
Hva tenker du (og alle andre som leser dette seff) om saken med at homofile ikke får gifte seg i kirken?

Jeg er 100% enig med Joe Rogan, at det er helt forferdelig å ikke være for like rettigheter.

Samtidig mener jeg at det er helt opp til overtrosforeninger å overtro på det de overtror på.

Problemet kommer når overtrossamfunnet er en del av staten, da mener jeg de samtidig mister retten til å bestemme over egen overtrospraksis. Derfor er det helt på trynet at statskirken er mot homo-ekteskap.

Andre tanker?

De får velge, enten får de være åpen for alle og få sin støtte på lik linje med andre organisasjoner, eller så får de velge å stenge dørene og klippe navlestrengen til den økonomiske bistanden også.

Jeg mener også at Kirker som ønsker å vie homofile bør få stå fritt til å gjøre dette. Enig i det du sier.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Annonse

Gjest Jester

- Sharia er ikke bare kapping av hender og dødsstraff som mange tror, sier «Umm Salahudeen».

Det kan så hende, men det er fortsatt en DEL av det, og der ligger problemet! Hun må gjerne dra fram at kvinner har ytringsfriethet under sharia styre (noe jeg ikke kjenner igjen) men det har hun nå også, UTEN at noen mister hender eller risikerer dødsstraff for å forlate religionen.

Lysbakken fikk en stjerne i boka med tweeten:

«Du i Db i dag som lengter etter religiøst diktatur: Vil minne om at det finnes flere slike i verden. Flybilletter dit finnes også. God tur!»

http://www.dagbladet.no/2014/05/23/nyheter/ekstremister/islamister/33464323/

http://www.dagbladet.no/2014/05/23/nyheter/innenriks/ekstrem_islamisme/audun_lysbakken/sv/33461249/

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Bli med i samtalen

Du kan publisere innhold nå og registrere deg senere. Hvis du har en konto, logg inn nå for å poste med kontoen din.

Gjest
Skriv svar til emnet...

×   Du har limt inn tekst med formatering.   Lim inn uten formatering i stedet

Du kan kun bruke opp til 75 smilefjes.

×   Lenken din har blitt bygget inn på siden automatisk.   Vis som en ordinær lenke i stedet

×   Tidligere tekst har blitt gjenopprettet.   Tøm tekstverktøy

×   Du kan ikke lime inn bilder direkte. Last opp eller legg inn bilder fra URL.

Laster...
  • Opprett ny...